Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring Break... me + 5 kids + road trip for 8 hours= Crazy????!


I've always wanted to go visit my brother Duane's family (they have 3 boys and 2 girls, they range in age from 2-13) but it hasn't happened, they lived in Boise for quite a few years, then moved to Blanding for a year and a half and now have lived in Arizona for 3 years...Here's a picture of their family it's from Christmas 08
Every spring I've thought it would be so great to go see them and also get to see the Mesa Temple pageant... but spring is crazy busy for Jared in his line of work, but thought this year we would just go, but then Jared ended up getting promoted and there was no way he could go, so I thought I'd ask my sister if she wanted to come along, she couldn't. So I just decided i would go by myself with my 5 kids... I went back and forth thinking nope there's no way... then I'd think, no I can do this, my kids will be good... so off we went on Monday March 29th... The drive was pretty good, we did hit traffic in LA and Phoenix, but still made good time, and the kids were okay for the most part. Duane and Shana have a 3700 ft house, with a pool. the kids just went right to playing when we got there and never stopped the entire time we were there, once the boys discovered they had Lego's and bionacles... they were in heaven! (can't believe I didn't get a picture of them playing and the huge mess they made!)
Tuesday: I forgot 2 major things at home, Jace's bag and my under clothes... so Tues. Shana took the kids to the park and Jace and I headed to Walmart to get him new clothes, diapers, shoes... and then to the distribution center by the temple for more garments. We had a nice stroll around the temple, while looking for the Distribution center.

West side of the Mesa Temple (So beautiful!)


After lunch the kids couldn't wait to go swimming in the pool... the water was cold, and even my "scared of pools Kaden" got in!
Easton trying to get warm!

Brianne packed her own clothes and forgot her swimming suit

Jace and Julia had fun together... they are 9 months apart. of course Jace loved going around and eating every one's leftovers after every meal!


Wednesday: took all the kids to Casa Grande National monument (ancient ruins). now with the Saguaro cactus, you know we were in Arizona!
in front on the main ruin.... but the sun was too bright!

it was nice Jace slept most of the time we were there... otherwise I don't know if the ruin would still be standing! ha ha!

another ruin

The kids working on the Junior ranger booklets... I love this program, the kids learn so much more about the places we visit... and they love collecting the badges!

Easton and Kyler answering the park rangers questions so they can earn their badges

Jace looking at artifacts


later that evening we headed to the temple for the Easter Pageant(Brianne went later with Aunt Shana and her cousins)



view of the stage and seating
The boys with some of the cast members

All of us... Duane saved us good seats in the 2nd section (notice the Christus in the Visitors center behind us) it was a great performance, perfect weather, it was a little windy, but not bad down in the seating area. Jace just wanted to run around, so I spent the entire time over by the visitor's center (so did Duane with Julia) Jace and Julia had a great time together once again! and Duane and I still got to have a great view of the pageant and still got to enjoy it!

Thursday: Shana took us to a nearby family farm, it had lots of fun things to do...a petting zoo, Kyler checking out the goats horns (he called them antlers)

in the goat pen


Rides (but they weren't going) the kids still had to go jump in and pretend they were going on a ride!






milking fake cows...
looking at the fish


getting ready to ride the train... (Aunt Shana was so nice to buy everyone tickets to ride the train)
it was actually kinda cold our last day there. but the kids insisted on swimming.... didn't last very long.

Doing what Jace does best: begging for food, especially chips!


Brianne and Aisha had a lot of fun together! Brianne was glad she got to spend the whole day playing with Aisha (she got to stay home from school, their spring break had been the previous 2 weeks) Shana also took us to a park, that the kids had tons of fun at!

this bee was the hit of the park... even kids we didn't know came and got on, so funny!

that night Duane volunteered to miss his round table meeting, and stay home and watch all the kids so Shana and I could go to Enrichment... it was a wizard of Oz themed visiting teaching conference... we ended up leaving before it was over, and just went to sonic for a treat, and talked. It was so fun to spend time with Shana, she is just such a great person! it was also fun to stay up late talking with both Duane and Shana a few nights, it was a really nice trip!

Friday: I got up about 4:45am, got the van packed, got the kids up and we left at 5:20. We had a good drive home, stopped just before the California border for gas and breakfast, and Brianne had to change, since she threw up just before that ( she gets motion sickness fairly easy and didn't take a Dramamine before, since we left so early) She even ended up puking again when we got to LA! poor girl!

We stopped at Joshua tree monument, thought the kids would be able to do the junior Ranger program there, but all the main places and bigger visitor center with exhibits were over an hour away. so basically we came and left, but not with out a few pictures!



The kids were great on the way home, didn't have to yell at them once!!! wow! We made it home before 2pm... and Jared wasn't even home, he went to the movies! He said it sure was strange being home in a empty house all week! Still can't believe I did that trip with my 5 kids!

3 comments:

ShaniLynn said...

We're so glad you came!!!

Lani said...

SO impressed you went solo! It looks like you had a TON of fun. Nothing beats visiting family.
And I'm sure it wasn't funny in the moment, but I did get a little chuckle over forgetting your garments! But when you're packing for 6 you can't remember everything!

Karalene said...

You did good Sis!