Sunday, January 18, 2009

wise counsel

For some reason I'm debating weather or not I should post this, I don't do this to offend anyone or to make myself seem better than others. This is simply a testimony to me of trying to live the principles of the gospel. This weekend has been our ward conference. I really enjoyed it. I didn't get to listen to everything in sacrament meeting (wonder why) but I did get to hear our stake president speak about how recently when the area president was meeting with all the stake presidents, he felt impressed to ask them if there was anyone in their stakes in need who did all of the following 7 things....
1. pay a full tithe
2. pay fast offering
3. go home and or visiting teaching each month
4. magnify their calling
5. have family home evening each week
6. daily prayer individually and as a family
7. read the scriptures daily

none of the stake presidents could think of one person who did all 7 things and were in need. The area president said... that is because the Lord keeps his promises to those who obey. It was very good counsel.
People whom Jared work with often ask him how we can "make it" with just him working and having 5 kids. To be honest I haven't felt the ill effects of the economy the past year, we've been able to continue to stay out of debt, save money, have what we need and those are my blessings from doing our best to put the Lord 1st. We don't make alot of money by most standards, but that doesn't matter, we are wise in our purchases and just try and follow the prophet in his counsel. I'm grateful for a husband who supports me in my role as a mother, and has never thought I should work to have more money. I feel great security in putting my trust in the Lord that we will always have what we NEED, and sometimes what we "want" too. I am Blessed!

8 comments:

jenwheezer said...

I think that is a sweet testamony, and you are truely blessed! your family is such a great example to others, Marlo, and I often find myself saying, "how would Marlo do this? or, "I need to take a lesson from the book of Marlo!" Sometimes when Steve and I are talking, he says, "Call Marlo and see how she does this?" You are wonderful!

DOLLCASA said...

Thanks for sharing this, Marlo. I miss you and all your wonderful wisdom and I truly appreciate the kindness you always showed to me and my family (thanks again for the chocolate).

Karalene said...

You and Jared are wonderful examples-- thanks for sharing your testimony and the wise counsel. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Marlo that is a great reminder that a lot of us lose sight of especially with change. Your awesome and always a great example.

Lani said...

I'm glad you shared Marlo! We all need a little reminder and a little inspiration now and then!

camille said...

I loved this talk! On Sunday after church I printed it out as a "To Do" list for my relief society binder so I'll have a constant reminder. Thank you for posting, you rock!

heidi said...

i really enjoyed his talk, i was amazed that I was able to listen to parts of it! i guess the Lord knew I needed to hear it

Anonymous said...

Our stake president challenged us this month to be 100% in those areas you mentioned. I feel the Lords present stronger in our home and we to are greatly blessed.